20 Facts You Didn't Know About GolfInto the Rough > Golf Features
Published 16/08/2008 14:15:47
Swat up on your golfing knowledge with these facts and trivia about the great game.
- 125,000 golf balls a year are hit into the water at the famous 17th hole of the Stadium Course at Sawgrass (pictured).
- The longest drive ever is 515 yards. The longest putt ever is a monstrous 375 feet
- Phil Mickelson, who plays left-handed, is actually right handed. He learned to play golf by mirroring his father’s golf swing, and he has used left handed golf clubs ever since.
- The chances of making two holes-in-one in a round of golf are one in 67 million.
- Tiger Woods snagged his first ace at the tender age of eight years old.
- Balls travel significantly further on hot days. A golfer swinging a club at around 100 mph will carry the driver up to eight yards longer for each increase in air temperature of 25°F.
- The longest golf course in the world is the par 77 International Golf Club in Massachusetts which measures a fearsome 8325 yards
- The highest golf course in the world is the Tactu Golf Club in Morococha, Peru, which sits 14,335 feet above sea level at its lowest point.
- The longest golf hole in the world is the 7th hole (par 7) of the Sano Course at the Satsuki Golf Club in Japan. It measures an incredible 909 yards.
- The largest bunker in the world is Hell's Half Acre on the 585-yard 7th hole of the Pine Valley Course in New Jersey.
- The largest golfing green is that of the 695-yard, 5th hole, a par 6 at the International Golf Club in Massachusetts, with an area in excess of 28,000 square feet.
- The driver swing speed of an average lady golfer is 62mph; 96mph for an average LPGA professional; 84mph for an average male golfer; 108mph for an average PGA Tour player; 130mph for Tiger Woods; 148-152mph for a national long drive champion.
- There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
- The first golf balls were made of thin leather stuffed with feathers. Tightly-packed feathers made balls that flew the farthest. Feather balls were used until 1848.
- The youngest golfer to shoot a hole-in-one was Coby Orr, who was five years old at the time. It happened in Littleton, Colorado, in 1975.
- 22.8% of golfers are women. Source
- Golf was banned in Scotland from 1457 to 1502 to ensure citizens wouldn't waste time when preparing for an English invasion
- The term birdie comes from an American named Ab Smith. While playing 1899, he played what he described as a "bird of a shot", which became "birdie" over time.
- The word golf does not mean "Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden". This is an internet myth. Read more here
- Don't feel bad about your high handicap -80% of all golfers will never achieve a handicap of less than 18 .
1. some interesting golf facts
comment by Dave Jones - 03/06/2009 10:25
2. so sexy a
comment by Selena Craig - 14/09/2009 15:38
3. Agree with Galvin about the handicaps
Also the gentlemen only thing is still going round like it's true - make that big letters
comment by Mekes - 03/04/2010 17:54
4. Some useful facts for golfers. Do you know how many golf courses there are in the UK?
comment by Paul Scott - 06/10/2010 13:22
5. I am really lucky for share this discussion. I am beginner of golf sport. I have no such idea before. Recently, I purchased an e-book of GOLF BEGINNER GUIDE. There are very easy steps which is very important to understand everyone.
comment by Jhon Franklin - 04/03/2011 09:30
comment by benedict - 20/04/2011 08:51
7. Golf IS FUN!H0r(n(Ie as
comment by Carlo - 29/04/2011 02:19
8. Excellent facts here!
comment by Ian - 29/08/2012 20:58
9. Interesting facts!
comment by TGC - 11/09/2012 18:40
10. Never new that about Phil, actually being right handed. Good golf facts.
comment by Jeff - 27/08/2013 22:50
11. 125,000 balls a year?! I thought it would be alot more to be honest!
comment by Buy Used Golf Balls - 24/08/2014 22:39
12. Great facts! Golf is always evolving - I am certain this list can be extended in the next 10 years with some future golf clubs!
comment by Foxhills - 02/10/2014 13:19
13. We should send our divers to the 17th at Sawgrass! I'd love to play that hole one day!
comment by Bill - 31/10/2014 20:17
14. I had a very long and intriguing conversation about the number of dimples on a regulated golf ball! Looks like I was right and my friend was way of when he estimated 70 dimples!
comment by Martin - 11/02/2015 10:34
15. Interesting facts such as the game of golf itself.
comment by Daily Sports USA - 23/02/2015 19:27
comment by john - 30/03/2015 13:51
17. did you know that golf is great
comment by daily planet - 27/01/2016 17:12